While with Immigrants
1. Abstain from engaging with reporters, posting on social media, or providing details of adult immi- grants or children in public spaces.
2. Never personally ask to photograph or video
an adult immigrant or child or request personal information (i.e. cell phone, home address here or abroad, or personal email) that you have encoun- tered for any reason.
3. Make all efforts to ensure that immigrant adults and children have personal space and are shielded from anyone that might be approaching them or jostling them.
4. Never initiate physical contact beyond a hand- shake with immigrant adults or children.
5. Refrain from asking immigrant adults or children about their time in detentions, why they came here, or engaging in conversation topics that would elicit them to talk about their trauma or trigger a memo- ryof their trauma.
6. If you are approached to be interviewed, pho- tographed or videotaped or to interview, photo- graphed or videotape an immigrant adult, child or family member, our official response is “We have no comment”; “Please respect our privacy and do not video or photograph”.
7. If you see or hear an immigrant adult, child
or family members being approached to be inter- viewed, photographed or videotaped without a lawyer present, indicate to them to “Please contact their lawyer” and do not respond to any follow-up questions.
8. Do not accept gifts of any financial value from adult immigrants and do not go into their homes to hang out, for meals or any other engagement in a non-professional capacity.
9. Do not share any personal or sensitive informa- tion about adult immigrants or children via any non-secure means and if passing along this sort of information, it should be passed to a single point of contact.
Engaging with Others About Specific Volunteer Tasks or Activities
1. Refrain from retelling or disclosing any informa- tion about activities that you will do or have done that involve direct with an immigrant adult or child.
2. Politely decline to answer any questions regard- ing our activities that you will do or have done that involve direct with an immigrant adult or child.
3. Do not post or share on social media in either a public or private page about what you will do or have done that involve direct with an immigrant adult or child at any time.